[vox] Local Linux-oriented PC recycling efforts?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 19 20:10:19 PDT 2005

on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 06:18:40PM -0700, bullring at gmail.com (bullring at gmail.com) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> >I'm aware of several PC recycling efforts around the Bay Area, though
> >most seem oriented to legacy MS Windows-based rebuilds.  For anyone
> >aware of efforts geared at turning out GNU/Linux-based systems, please
> >post details here.

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I would be very interested in starting a PC recycling program to help
> resolve this problem.  It would be great to start a recycling effort
> here in sacramento and use the computers to teach computer repair
> skills to the local community.  I have been gathering and giving away
> linux/opensource computers whenever possible for the last few years.
> If anyone else is interested in starting something like this let me
> know.

You might want to check with the Alameda Country Computer Resource
Center, which seems to coordinate activities with a few similar programs
around the SF Bay Area.  I'm not familiar with existing Sac area
programs, but encourage you to check for same.

    Alameda County Computer Resource Center
    http://www.accrc.org/

Peace.

    18.8% of all browsers that claim to be MSIE, aren't.
    - http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/35.html