[vox] Local Linux-oriented PC recycling efforts?

bullring at gmail.com bullring at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 18:18:40 PDT 2005

Karsten M. Self wrote:

>The New York Times ran an article by Matt Richtel and John Markoff on
>the 17th about PC users driven to frustration to the point of discarding
>virtually brand new and perfectly serviceable hardware in an attempt to
>rid themselves of viruses, spyware, and other malware.
>
>    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/technology/17spy.html?ei=5094&en=178b2edcf06c6a45&hp=&ex=1121572800&pagewanted=print
>

>This is one of a few similar spyware / malware articles the Times has
>run in the past year.  I was quoted in an earlier piece running 19
>September, 2004.  I responded to that article with a longer technical
>piece, and am extending this to address Richtell & Markoff's article, to
>be posted shortly at:
>
>    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Rants/spyware.html
>

>I find the latest piece markedly pathetic on a number of points:
>
>  - It fails to point out that the problems are almost wholly specific
>    to Microsoft operating systems and products (mailers, browsers).
>
>  - It implies a grossly overstated cost of Apple alternatives.  Sure, a
>    high-end laptop might run $3000, but the Mac Mini is available for
>    $500 or less, and used Mac hardware on Craigslist runs in the
>    $100-$400 range.
>
>  - It utterly ignores GNU/Linux.  With the most recent Ubuntu
>    offerings, I'd say the feasibility of GNU/Linux is at least on par
>    with legacy MS Windows, if not significantly better.  Issues, yes,
>    but of an entirely different stripe.
>
>  - It *completely* misses the mark, in that Microsoft's ubiquitous,
>    deep, and pervasive security problems are well known, widely
>    understood by those familiar with technology, and are not in the
>    least addressed by discarding perfectly usable hardware.
>
>Moreover:  there are numerous organizations and causes which could very
>much make use of this hardware.
>

>I'm aware of several PC recycling efforts around the Bay Area, though
>most seem oriented to legacy MS Windows-based rebuilds.  For anyone
>aware of efforts geared at turning out GNU/Linux-based systems, please
>post details here.
>

>Peace.

Hello Everyone,

I would be very interested in starting a PC recycling program to help
resolve this problem.  It would be great to start a recycling effort
here in sacramento and use the computers to teach computer repair skills
to the local community.  I have been gathering and giving away
linux/opensource computers whenever possible for the last few years.  If
anyone else is interested in starting something like this let me know.

Joshua Morris
bullring * gmail