[vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?

Mike Neal miken at hotsushi.com
Wed Jul 6 15:42:19 PDT 2005

Hi,

I teach community college classes in network operating systems and I.S.
security. After years of NetWare and NT/2000/2003, Linux is a real delight.
Students don't have to pay for any of the software and a home network is
cheap enough for almost everyone.  They can play with anythingmail servers
one week, protocol analyzers the next. The open source community is still
all about freedom, roll-your-own, tons of resources and let's help each
other solve problems, all the stuff that makes learning fun. To stay
current, Linux supports our home net with iptables and NAT, postfix,
spamassasin, apache, bind9, DHCP, SAMBA and a slew of security tools.

I can't imagine ever teaching closed source again.

Cheers, Mike