[vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?

Marc Elliot Hall marc at hallmarc.net
Wed Jul 6 13:26:53 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:17:23PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> So, here's a very short survey...  What do YOU use Linux for?
> (Server? Desktop? PDA? Appliance?  What services do you run?
> What desktop apps do you use?  ... and anything else you can think of! :^) )

I have several Linux systems. Some are general-purpose desktop-y
machines, and others are purpose-built servers. For example:

* A Mandrake laptop, which holds a 30 GB chunk of my music collection
  as well as tools for collecting mail, doing text editing, and browsing
  the Web;
* Two Debian desktops, one for productivity functions (OpenOffice.org
  and KOffice are on there, as well as Gnumeric, QuantaGold, and a few
  other GUI-front-ended office-type apps.) and one for fun and games
  (FreeCiv - which my twelve-year-old is addicted to - Frozen Bubble,
  Reversi, Quake II, that sort of thing.). These are separate for tax
  reasons rather than technical reasons... Sharing a box with my kids
  doesn't present a security problem under Linux.
* A Debian media server, which holds my entire music collection as well
  as serving as my DVD playback box.
* Two Internet servers, one Debian and one Mandrake, which handle my
  mail (Postfix), Web (Apache/ModPerl/PHP), and networked game (FreeCiv
  server, Quake server, etc.) needs.

I like being able to keep my documents on the two 'net connected servers
so I can snag 'em from anywhere and always have a current version
available, as well as being able to get my email from any network jack
or wireless access point.

Since my job revolves around doing Perl development on Unix systems, I
also like having the same tools on these systems as I have at work.

--
Marc Elliot Hall
St. Peters, MO