[vox] LTSP demo in Oakland next week...

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:44:57 PDT 2005

If anyone is interested, I'll be setting up an LTSP server and
workstations in Oakland next week on the 12th for Penguin Day there.
It's part of a push they are doing to showcase computer recycling, and
I'm there since we use refurbished computers as clients (and as
servers as well).

Information on the day is below.  Since I'm not sponsoring the event,
hope it's kosher to post about it.

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon
916-899-1400 direct

Penguin Day San Francisco/Bay Area will take place at the East Bay
Center for Philanthropy -- James Irvine Conference Center in Oakland.

Register now at http://bayarea.penguinday.org

******What is Penguin Day San Francisco/Bay Area?******

Penguin Day brings together nonprofit tech staff, eRiders, tech
providers, consultants, and open source software developers for a day
of learning and conversation.

Together, we'll demystify open source for nonprofits, frankly address
the challenges of developing open source tools, and learn about
specific promising open source applications for nonprofits.

****What will you take away from Penguin Day?******

Co-hosted by Aspiration and CompuMentor, Penguin Day San Francisco/Bay
Area features a packed agenda of interactive workshops, round tables,
and speed geeks. Our goal is to help grow a community of folks
interested in using, exploring, and developing open source software
for the sector.

Agenda topics include:
Introduction to Free and Open Source Software for Nonprofits
Local resources and who's-who in the Bay Area Free/Open Source community
Helping techies and non-techies communicate and cooperate
Overview of Free and Open Source desktop applications
e-Advocacy platforms and best practices
Selecting an Open Source operating system
Free and Open Source migration strategies
Funding, financing and sustaining an Open Source project
Hardware recycling using Free and Open Source Software
Creative Commons and open content
Speed Geek (a lively tour of projects and tools)
Register now at http://bayarea.penguinday.org

For more info on Penguin Days in other cities, see www.penguinday. org.

Penguin Days are made possible by the generous support of IBM
Corporation, and in-kind support by local co-organizers and
Aspiration.

***Questions?****

Don't hesitate to contact us at info at penguinday.org or by calling
413-884-0094 (Aspiration).

We look forward to seeing you at Penguin Day San Francisco/Bay Area!
And if you miss it, there will be Penguin Day New York on May 7th,
Penguin Day Bosto later this year, with other to be announced.  We
hope to see you at one of them!

Best,

Katrin and Gunner at Aspiration and Marnie at CompuMentor
for the Bay Area Penguin Day Working Group