[vox] Speakers needed!

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 6 18:04:31 PDT 2005

on Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 02:00:38PM -0800, Ryan (cjg5ehir02 at sneakemail.com) wrote:
> I'd be willing and able to do a talk covering ISC DHCP any time, if there's
> intrest.
>
> What'd I'd cover.
> * basic usage
> * vendor defined options
> * static address assignments via DHCP
> * custom dhclient scripts
> * dynamic dns w/ bind (possibly)
> * serving multiple subnets
> * client groups

Here's a selfish interest.  The more so as I'm not too likely to make
the meeting, but should be useful to others.

I'd like to do a LTSP deployment at a local school.  However, there is
an existing DHCP infrastructure in place.  I've been looking at this
from a few angles for a couple of weeks, and:

  - LTSP uses DHCP and BOOTP by default.  Other thin-client solutions
    would do similarly.

  - BOOTP and DHCP are actually permutations of the same protocol --
    same port, same protocol, slightly different headers.  For the
    interested (yes, *you*), BOOTP apparently arose first, then vendors
    started piling on extensions to the protocol when they realized that
    automatic IP assignment, even when not network-booting, was useful.

  - Note that dhclient can be told to make its requests on a specified
    port other than the default (67/68).  Presumably this can be done
    for BOOTP requests as well, with some tweakage.

  - (Maybe) the BOOTP and DHCP functions can be seperated (allowing boot
    requests to be handled by the LTSP server, and DHCP requests by the
    extant DHCP server).

  - ...or:  BOOTP and DHCP can be handled by the LTSP server, keyed to a
    specific port, and (optionally) specific MACs, allowing coexistence
    in a mixed environment.

Actually, this is probably *way* beyond what Ryan has any interest in
discussing, but, damnit, _I_ care (and people like me).

Informed (or otherwise) feedback welcomed.

Peace.

    One should remember that the Universe is large enough that unlikely
    things happen really quite often.