[vox] [fwd] [svlug] mission critical computing and air safety

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 22 13:00:09 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 12:48:34PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Unfortunately, you can't stop & restart processes like daemons on
> Windows as easily as you can on Linux or UNIX.  If the daemons have
> problems, you're stuck and have very little choice but to restart
> the whole system.

Well, assuming you still have the RAM to work with the GUI, you can go
to the services management panel and restart the service there. If
you're administering by anything that uses a command line (assuming
such a thing is possible), then use the net command, specifically "net
stop ServiceName" "net start ServiceName".

Am I missing some practical limitation to this?

> But leaky daemons is a problem with UNIX & co as well as Windows.
> UNIX is not leak-proof... just imaging going through all the daemons
> and restarting them one-by-one to find the daemon with leaky memory!
> -- might as well just reboot...

One word: top

And how long do our mission critical servers usually last on Linux?
Much longer than 49.7 days. (Although I probably concur with Rob
Rodgers' opinion that it's the clock. When I first read it, I assumed
it was some kind of open file limit, and that the application was
leaking file handles.)

> Last time I was at UCD, both the CS and the EE departments regularly
> rebooted their computers -- Linux, HPUX, Sun, SGI, etc.  Of course,
> this is all done automatically, and the EE department had the
> sensibility to reboot only if nobody's logged into the system.

They still do.