[vox] LTSP.

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Sep 20 19:13:09 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 04:38:20PM -0700, Don Werve wrote:
> I'm looking at setting up a terminal server, and have a question about
> LTSP that doesn't seem to be covered by the docs; namely, when one logs
> out of an LTSP session on the client, is that session destroyed, or kept
> running?

Currently, I believe it's destroyed.  It's like logging out of any other
X-Window session.

However, VNC or the Stateless Linux Project might be something to look into.
Stateless was mentioned over on the K12OSN mailing list this month.
See the thread, here:

  https://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2004-September/msg00345.html

> I'd like to set up my environment such that the users can, say,
> experience a power failure on the terminals, with the server sitting on
> a UPS, and when the power comes back up, the users can just log back in
> and resume where they left off.  Basically, I'd like to set up a Sun Ray
> type environment, only using Debian.

I know Doug Barbieri has done something like this, using VNC, unless I'm
misunderstanding something.  His "VNC Selector" app was made for the
particular project:

  http://vncselector.sourceforge.net/

Good luck!

-bill!