[vox] Let's Kill the 76 Char Line Limit!

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri Sep 3 14:33:53 PDT 2004

Edward Elliott said:
[chop]
> This is a great group, do
> we have any scripting geniuses that can write a PERL or Python script for
> the mail server that will reformat the emails for those two or three
> members addresses? Then the rest of us can stay messy and happy in the
> normal world of wraparound email text?

Modification of text in the body of a message at the relay server for the
lists will likely result in an sig checks with gpg to fail. This will make
verification of signed messages which have been munged rather difficult
for those who choose to sign messages that exceed this length.

As for length, it was not very long ago, that one of our old mail relay
servers at work would chop any unwrapped characters passed to it which
were longer than 256 chars. (Sure the OS that it is running is about 20
years old, but there may be users who won't be able to see messages which
don't eventually wrap.)

I do not care so much how this issue is resolved, but I am against the
server making mods to the messages in transit due to problems with gpg
signing of messages and verification of those sigs AND so long as this
does not become an HTML-friendly list.

Vote for: no server mods to message text in transit
Vote for: no HTML to list