[vox] More Ballmer FUD

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Nov 18 15:06:46 PST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> Bill Kendrick wrote:
>

> >*feh!*
> >

> Yeah, but I'd like to go back to Rod's post.  Does anybody here think
> that Linux is in any real danger?  Rod says it will be an interesting
> year.  So supppose 228 patent infringement suits are filed.  Is there
> any real threat?

I am not worried.  If a problem was introduced, a cleaned version of code
will be developed.  Also, many software patents are bogus... which makes
them difficult to enforce.  Finally, patents are designed to cope with
unauthorized manufacturing... Linux is so widespread that "recalling" it
is absurd... and any developer found guilty of introducing the problem
will be such small fish it won't matter to the existence of Linux.

The real problem is the FUD factor, not the actual demise of Linux in a
flood of patent lawsuits.  As long as business decisions are being made
with FUD in mind, Microsoft stays ahead.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing