[vox] GTC Wrapup

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 15 May 2004 12:52:16 -0700

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:35:50PM -0500, Rob Rogers wrote:
> I wasn't at GTC for most of the day, so I'm not sure how the morning
> went. (I'm not even sure we had someone there for the morning. Seth and
> Scott both showed up just after noon and there was nobody at the booth.)
> I'll let one of them tell you how this afternoon went.

Ack!  John Marcotte was initially scheduled for Friday morning, but he
called me on Thursday to say that he had a scheduling conflict.

Apparently, Erik Mullinix had spoken with him and said he was interested
in helping, and that John said Erik should take his slot.  I never heard
from Erik or John after that, so I guess I assumed it was dealt with.

Oh well.  As long as nothing was stolen or broken.  *eep!*

<snip>
> So we gave out over 350 [Knoppix discs] over 3 days.
<snip>
> I'm guessing we actually went through over 200 [GnuWinII discs].
<snip>

That sounds about on-par with last year's disc give-aways.

> Overall, I think it was a pretty good show. I know we had a lot of
> people (much more than last year) who had actually heard of Linux, and
> thought about trying it out.

Great! :^)

<snip>
> I agree with Govind, from the reaction I was getting, I wouldn't be
> surprised to see a few new faces at upcoming meetings. One guy in
> particular knew about LUGOD, and told me "I've been wanting to come to a
> meeting for about a year now, but I have a prior commitment on Tuesdays"
> He seemed pretty excited when I told him we also meet once a month on
> Mondays.

Heheh, it's funny how people always get confused with what days we meet,
when we've been meeting on those days for _5_years_.  Plus, it lists those
days, in big bold letters on the _front_page_ of our website.

I'm not sure what else I can do to make it any more obvious!?  Maybe rent
a blimp and fly it around the Sacramento region... :^)

  "LUGOD meets on Mondays _AND_ Tuesdays!"  *blink!  blink!*

hehehe ;^)

Thanks for the report, Rob!  I'm glad the show went so well!!!
I hope we can do it next year (and maybe have more volunteers?  hmm?  hmm?)

;^)

-bill!