[vox] [OT] Budget Surplus - How Do I Spend It?

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 14 May 2004 10:54:28 -0700 (PDT)

Wow... what a happy problem you have...

With so much money, I'd go through a entire software catalog and buy
everything you might possibly want in it -- stock up on any software you
may need in the future, like several copies of MS Project Professional,
Visual Studio Professional, MS Office Professional, ZoneAlarm Pro, VMWare,
antivirus software, antispyware, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, lots and
lots of computer books, and whatever else you wouldn't normally buy
because of cost.  Have them available for anyone to try out and sample to
see if it'll increase their productivity or the company's.  If anything
does, you can get some more if you have time.  Even if they become
obsolete by the time you need them, you'll have a pile of software you can
get upgrade pricing on in the future.

You can probably also hire some people to do office efficiency and
security analysis.  I'm sure there are people that do that and you may get
some benefit that'll last for a long time.

And! Some employees can take some computer classes, apply for
certificates, etc. and the company can pay for everything, including the
tests, study materials, study courses, etc.  MSCE, all those network/CISCO
certificate tests, Linux certificate tests, etc.  The company may be
interested in having lots of certified people in the company to show off
to clients, and it's something they can show off to their potential future
employees ("hey, we pay for all this education whenever we can!")  Also,
if there's any conferences or exhibits in the country that may be relevant
to your company, offer to fly anyone interested over, pay for all their
food, lodging, classes, etc.  That should be pretty fruitful for the
employees' experiences.

Just some ideas...

-Mark