[vox] Sony's Linux-based book

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 5 May 2004 12:07:24 -0700

Last night at Crepeville I briefly mentioned Sony had come out with a
'digital paper' electronic book in Japan that happens to run Linux.

I didn't know many of the details off-hand, but here's an URL.  Enjoy!

  http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=817

And here:

  http://www.eink.com/news/releases/pr70.html

"The Electronic Paper Display is reflective and can be easily read in
bright sunlight or dimly lit environments while being able to be seen
at virtually any angle - just like paper. Its black and white
ink-on-paper look, combined with a resolution in excess of most
portable devices at approximately 170 pixels per inch (PPI), gives an
appearance similar to that of the most widely read material on the
planet - newspaper. Because the display uses power only when an image
is changed, a user can read more than 10,000 pages before the four AAA
Alkaline batteries need to be replaced. The unique technology also
results in a compact and lightweight form factor allowing it to be
ideal for highly portable applications."

Purty cool!

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com        | Even when using industrial beat, Kompressor
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill | know importance of brushing teeth