[vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Nicole TWN vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:05:38 -0800

At 03:29 PM 3/19/2004, you wrote:
>  As for turtle graphics, I suspect the modern male child would learn how
> to draw a star, then a boobie, then get bored with it.

I don't know if I count as a modern child (I'm 26), but MY formative
programming experience was with the Logo turtle, and I liked it.  It was
somewhat formal, though: the teacher would say, "Class, this month we're
drawing [a heart | a house | a zoo animal | something else]."  And we would
have to figure out how to draw whatever it was; it had to be recognizable,
but otherwise there were no requirements.  I'm not sure how this would work
if your target child wasn't motivated by a grade (Adult: "I'd like you to
draw a house."  Child: "No."), but there's PLENTY of challenge to be had
with Logo.

--nicole twn