[vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Ken Bloom vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:35:02 -0800

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On 2004.03.19 15:08, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 03:04:32PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> >
> > The IDEs are all bloated.
>=20
> Wow.  One-liner diss :)

Dont' get me wrong. Java is a great language with incredibly comprehensive =
=20
standard libraries (which I find useful for things like sockets and SQL =20
databases), and GCJ makes it a reasonably efficient language too.

The problem is with the IDEs is they all try to do RAD development and they=
 =20
all take a lot of overhead doing it, and they're all compiled in bytecode -=
 =20
not GCJ. Perhaps the RAD development isn't so much of a problem, but GCJ =
=20
doesn't support AWT or Swing (so the RAD development tools, and generally =
=20
the programs you'd write with them) can't yet be compiled down to native =
=20
code. And even if they could be compiled with GCJ, do you think any of the =
=20
IDE vendors would actually take the time to do that?

After you remove RAD, there's not much that you can't do with your standard=
 =20
development tools.

--=20

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh