[vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Dave Margolis vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:10:10 -0800

This is actually a really good question; thanks for asking it.  I've
been thinking about introducing basic (not BASIC) programming to my 5
year old at some point (probably when he's a little older than 5).  He's
been so shockingly quick ot pick things up, and with zero teaching (you
should see this kid operate the Tivo!).   I was already planning on
doing PHP, but my brother-in-law is a big TCL user and threw that in as
a possibility.  Obviously a lot of people like Python too.  I kind of
liked the idea of something that could graduate into GUI programming.
TCL/TK offers this.  PHP obviously doesn't unless you consider
Web-scripting an abstract example of GUI programming.  What are the GUI
programming possibilities for Python?