[vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:51:31 -0800

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:33:01AM -0800, Norm Matloff wrote:
> One thing in particular which would
> recommend it in that context is that Python can also be run in
> interactive mode.

Mm.. yeah.  :^)

One day, I swear, I will write a multimedia-focused interactive-mode
BASIC-like language for kids.  I pine for old Atari BASIC. :^)

10 GRAPHICS 7
20 COLOR 1
30 PLOT 0,0
40 DRAWTO 159,79

Voila... a line.  How hard was that? :^)  (Line-numbers unnecessary, if
you want to watch each step, in this case ;^) )

<snip>
> I've got an introduction (presumes experience in C) at
>
>    http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/python.html

Cool.  I'll add it to my pile of things to look at.

I'm now looking for Python book recommendations (for both me, and the
kid I'll be tutoring :^) )

-bill!