[vox] [fwd] Re: [svlug] Script to split a large directory into smaller directories

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 06:20:46 -0800

I was mentioning this thread at Crepeville last night.  I checked back
this morning, and it looks like someone's written something or two ;^)

(The objective is to split directories for burning to DVD, but NOT break
individial files into pieces; simply move the entire file onto the
'next disc' if it can't fit.)

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Tim -----

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:40:00 -0800
From: Tim <EMAIL_REMOVED>
Subject: Re: [svlug] Script to split a large directory into smaller directories
Cc: svlug@lists.svlug.org

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 11:21:19AM -0800, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 11:07:51AM -0800, David Hummel wrote:
> > This previously posted script can probably be adapted to your needs:
> >
> > http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2002-October/042336.html
> >

> Hey, that's mine :-D
>
> I'll adapt it right quick...

And, after several distractions and several annoying bugs, I'm done.

I should have been spending time working on something that will make me
money so I can pay the stack of bills on my desk, but it was fun,
regardless.  The script can be downloaded from:

  http://tetro.net/misc/split-dir.pl

Enjoy.  Patches happily accepted.

     - Tim [EMAIL_REMOVED], http://tetro.net/
       Free Software [www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html] advocate.