[vox] Interest in KDE talk?

Ken Bloom vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 22:32:15 -0800

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On 2004.03.09 21:08, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:54:26PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > I've been avoiding that bloated window manager for a while, preferring
> GTK
> > apps when I have the choice, but I nevertheless prefer to program in =
=20
> QT.
>=20
> > I'd love to hear what's new in KDE (the last KDE I really used was 2.=
=20
> x).
>=20
> 3.2 is really a world away from 2.x :^)
>=20
> I'm keeping an eye on Gnome (have XChat 2 and Gimp 1.2.5, waiting to
> figure
> out the cleanest way to get Gimp 2.0 installed on my now-hybrid
> Debian/Woody
> system), but I'm definitely currently 'sold' on the KDE environment.
>=20
>=20
> In a way, I almost think of KDE for Linux in the same way I think of
> Linux for PCs.
>=20
> We're at a point where almost ANYTHING you need to do can be done
> entirely under Linux.  Office?  OpenOffice.org/etc.  Paint/photo?  Gimp.
> Web browsing?  Mozilla/etc.
>=20
> I think we're coming to a point where almost anything you want to do
> under LINUX can be done under KDE.  Office?  KOffice.
> Web browsing?  Konqueror.  Instant Messenging?  Kopete.
>=20
>=20
> While I appreciate the variety Linux offers
> (Mozilla/Galeon/Konqueror/etc.,
> OpenOffice.org/GNOME Office/KOffice/etc.), I do also greatly enjoy the
> integration KDE apps seem to have.  (Apparently, GNOME is getting better,
> too;
> I just haven't used GNOME 2 really.)
>=20
> For example, a little thing I've noticed, but a nice touch... almost
> every app has a "Help" menu which contains a "Report Bug..." option.
> That launches a web browser that jumps to the KDE bug website, and
> automagically fills out a number of fields in the wizard there.
> Very cool. :^)   (Admittedly, I do remember GNOME 1.x having something
> like
> this, but I don't remember if it was as consistent or as integrated.)
>=20
>=20
> Anyway, as they've said the past 5 years, 2004 is the year of the Linux
> desktop. ;^)  [*]

And every year, the desktops have gotten much better :)
I'm not sure what "year of the linux desktop" is supposed to entail, but =
=20
we've started getting vendors interested in this too, so I don't think it's=
 =20
a misnomer.

I'm really interested in trying out some KDE Apps (particularly in seeing =
=20
KOrganizer/KPilot work better for me than JPilot), but for others, the =20
GNOME equivalent seems more interesting.

For one, I'm very sold on Galeon.

For another, Nautilus in 2.6 is supposed to be "Spatial Nautilus" and it =
=20
seems like it will bring back the good parts of the MacOS Finder of olde (i=
 =20
particularly liked how the classic finder would remember where I left icons=
 =20
and open up folders in new windows that remembered their size - nothing's =
=20
done that for me in years).

I don't think I'll ever standardize on one desktop environment.

--=20

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9--