[vox] Heresy! AOL on Linux?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jun 25 14:03:56 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 01:56:54PM -0700, Dave Margolis wrote:

> 3. chat: gaim/aol's linux aim client/jbuddy messenger (java-based)/kit (or
> whatever kde is calling it's im client these days)

Kopete!  Does AIM, YIM, MSN, Jabber, IRC, ICQ, Gadu-Gadu and even SMS (e.g.,
to a cellphone), if properly set up!

I have some info & sshots in my presentation to LUGOD a while back:

  http://www.lugod.org/presentations/kde-user-persp/kopete.html

<snip>
> I recently set my mother-in-law up with linux/kde/konquerer/kmail on an
> outdated laptop, and she e-mails people everyday and does a little
> browsing.  I don't even think she knows she's using linux.  She just knows
> that she gets about 80% less junk mail and hasn't seen an unsolicited
> pop-up in months...

Pretty much the same for my dad.  :^)

I DID have to go in and have him fix permissions on a little
rc.boot script I wrote (I dunno if I forgot to set the permissions, or if
they 'broke' somehow).  Told him what commands to type into the root window
via the phone.  It was a little scary, but I imagine it's just as bad when
you have to tell people "okay, click Start; right-click 'My Computer',
now do "Run..." and type "xyzmgr.exe forward slash N""... ;^) )