[vox] Heresy! AOL on Linux?

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Fri Jun 25 06:26:44 PDT 2004

I would love to divorce my little sister from AOL altogether, actually.
My parents don't even use it for connectivity anymore (apparently with
version 9 you can use all of AOL's features even when you're dialed in
through another service -- this way my parents can have DSL and wireless
in their home).  I have no idea why my sister so desperately needs to
have AOL, but she's aghast at the idea of giving it up.

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 00:17, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Thursday 24 June 2004 11:48 pm, Richard Crawford wrote:
> > I know it seems morally outrageous, but I'm committed to rebuilding my
> > little sister's ancient laptop computer this weekend.  I'd love to
> > install FC1 on it, or perhaps Debian, but she's married to AOL 9.0.
> > Anyone know if it's possible to get AOL 9 running on a Linux box?  If
> > not, that's fine.  I'll just have to track down a copy of Win98 with a
> > valid license.  :)
>
> Looks like AOL is nowhere close to working with Wine.
>
> However I'm pretty sure you can access it with a standard
> web browser - not sure how much you can do that way though.
> If AIM is important, there are some good Linux clients for
> it such as Gaim.
>
> So it depends on what exactly she wants to do, but I suspect
> she's going to be stuck with Windows.
>
> -- Rod
Richard S. Crawford / http://www.mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K / ICQ: 11646404 / Y!: rscrawford
"You can't depend on your judgement when your imagination is out
of focus." --Mark Twain, Notebook, 1898