[vox] Heresy! AOL on Linux?

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Fri Jun 25 00:17:35 PDT 2004

On Thursday 24 June 2004 11:48 pm, Richard Crawford wrote:
> I know it seems morally outrageous, but I'm committed to rebuilding my
> little sister's ancient laptop computer this weekend.  I'd love to
> install FC1 on it, or perhaps Debian, but she's married to AOL 9.0.
> Anyone know if it's possible to get AOL 9 running on a Linux box?  If
> not, that's fine.  I'll just have to track down a copy of Win98 with a
> valid license.  :)

Looks like AOL is nowhere close to working with Wine.

However I'm pretty sure you can access it with a standard
web browser - not sure how much you can do that way though.
If AIM is important, there are some good Linux clients for
it such as Gaim.

So it depends on what exactly she wants to do, but I suspect
she's going to be stuck with Windows.

-- Rod