[vox] [fwd] KQED program on open source [last night]

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:24:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Richard Crawford wrote:

> >> One point he brings up which I'm not sure about.  He states that it's
> >> impossible, these days, for a single individual to write an entire
> >> operating system from scratch (though he doesn't hint that it was
> >> impossible in 1991).
[snip]
> Sorry.  Here's exactly what he says (p. 10):
>
> "There was a time when a single determined individual could write the core
> of a simple operating system for a primitive computer.  But given the
> demands of computer applications and the capabilities of hardware
> technology at present, that is no longer conceivable."

What?  The "core of a simple operating system for a primitive computer"
can be written by any competent part-time computer hobbist programmer.
(Probably better than a group of incompetent full-time computer
programmers with bachelor degrees that hate what they're doing and just
got into computers for money...) -_-'

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim