[vox] [fwd] KQED program on open source [last night]

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:55:49 -0700

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:31:18AM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> "There was a time when a single determined individual could write the core
> of a simple operating system for a primitive computer.  But given the
> demands of computer applications and the capabilities of hardware
> technology at present, that is no longer conceivable."

Mmm... even then, I'm sure if we separated the GUI and all the other glue
the apps need from the _actual_ OS (the thing that talks to the hardware
and manages processes), that it could still be done.

If I were to write Kendrix OS, and it was capable enough to run X and Qt on
top of it, that'd definitely be a feat, but I still argue that it's not
impossible.  It also wouldn't be a very good OS, but it'd _work_...

However, if I were told "you need to write everything from the process
scheduler and memory all the way to the GUI subsystem and widget toolset",
with the idea that I have to start with _nothing_, and then be able to run
Mozilla or OpenOffice.org on top of it, that's getting closer to the
"not feasible" realm.

But I guess even SO.... if you're a _really_ determined individual, with
all the time in the world (and no job, no family, etc.), I _still_ don't
think it's "inconceivable."  Unlikely, _yes_.

Hrm... maybe I'm getting "inconceivable" mixed up with "impossible," and
am arguing a nonexistent battle. :^)  I'm still tired.  Damned SVLUG!

-bill!