[vox] Re: DSLExtreme.com deal

Rob Rogers vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:21:21 +0000

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:11:45PM -0800, Dave Margolis wrote:
> Also, does anybody have any Surewest experiences?  Those guys are digging
> in my neighborhood right now and offer 10mbps (both ways! - wtf?) for $49.
> A buddy at work has it already, but he only uses it for regular home
> internet guy usage so besides saying he's had no noticable downtime over a
> few months, that's not exactly the testimonial I'm hoping for.
>
> I've asked the guys doing the work if they know when the service will be
> available and they don't know exactly when...

I know someone who had this a few years ago, before SureWest bought
WinFirst out. He was pretty impressed with it, even running a web/ftp
server off his firewall box. I've never used it myself, but he had
confirmed the speeds were what they advertised, and uptime was excelent.

I've been waiting for this to get to my neighborhood for quite a while.
I don't even see the coverage map on their website anymore. (Last I
looked it was a year out of date anyways)