[vox] A hypothetical question about the Web's dark underbelly

Richard Crawford vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:12:13 -0800 (PST)

ME said:
> Three things I would examine:
> 1) Have user purge cache, restart web browser and/or reboot.

Already done.

> 2) Find out if the user has their browser configured to check for new
> copy or use cache for each load

Already done.

> 3) Find out if the user or user's ISP use a caching Proxy service

At this point, that's what I'm thinking.

> My questions:
> How is this message a hypothetical question?

I guess it isn't that hypothetical after all.

> Is this a dark underbelly of the web? In what way?

I probably should have said "Less predictable and annoying inner workings
of the Web that are obscure to relatively inexperienced guys like me", but
"dark underbelly" sounded much cooler.

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man.
I wouldn't mess with them."
--Michael Moore