[vox] HP touts Linux 'for the real world', sets record with $2.5B Linux-based revenue

Dave Margolis vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:55:48 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> I'm using a Woody backport of 'hpijs' 1.5 from:
>
>   deb http://eppesuigoccas.homedns.org/~giuseppe/woodypkgs/ ./
>

> and a Woody backport of Ghostscript 7.07 from:
>
>   deb http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib non-free

I'm not exactly sure what it takes to find/accomplish a backport, but both
packages (hpijs and ghostscript) install very easily from source using
the old standby:
tar xvzf package.tar.gz
./configure
make
make install

I know that's rather stinky in comparison to _apt-get install hpijs_
And you don't benefit from automagic upgrades either...

> Here's the entry from /etc/printcap:
>
> lp|hpdj882c|HP Deskjet 882C:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj882c:\
>         :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
>         :if=/etc/magicfilter/dj882c-filter:\
>         :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
>
> Pretty standard, I think.  Doesn't look much different from when I was
> using the hpdj550c-filter.

It looks like apsfilter and magicfilter are close cousins; here's mine:

hp|ijs/DESKJET_825;r=600x600;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\
    :if=/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/hp/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/hp/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

With no other configuration this also works as a print server for my
wife's and my mac laptops since lpd printing is one of the ways to
configure a printer in the osx print utility (it's nice when those unixes
talk to each other nicely).

> Here's one of the calls to Ghostscript in the magicfilter file
> (/etc/magicfilter/dj882c-filter).  I just copied "dj630c-filter", which
> I noticed was already using the hpijs stuff ("grep -i isj *" ;^) )
>
> 0       %!              filter /usr/bin/gs  -q -sDEVICE=ijs -DSAFER -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjsServer=hpijs -sDeviceManufacturer=HEWLETT-PACKARD -sDeviceModel="DESKJET 882C" -DIjsUseOutputFD -DNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- - -c quit

If you search for 882 on this page:
http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/printmodedescr.php, it will tell which of
the numerous ghostscript options the 882 will support. They have a #8xx
link on the page, but it isn't working...

> It was a little tough getting the syntax exactly right, esp. since I don't
> know what most of it means. :^)

Between ghostrscript and lpr, I feel like you'd never get printing set up!
The commands and options are very cryptic and numerous.  But, again,
I _cheated_ with apsfilter ...

> Enjoy!  And thanks, Dave!!!  I had no idea hpijs was out there!  Awesome!

I found out by chance...

I had and old canon that printed black and white and color documents,
but didn't print photos at all, and was always behaving badly.

I was walking through Linux World last year and a guy at an HP
booth handed me a little snapshot he had just printed out from a typical
deskjet (not a photosmart or anything super fancy).  I asked him, you just
printed that off this printer, from a linux box?  He said yup, and handed
me some flyers about hpijs, explaining how they were hp supported, open
source drivers, with minimal requirments (basically ghostscript).  He and
I talked for a few more minutes about model numbers and my price range,
but that was about it.  I'm basically an HP printer customer for life now.
Between HPIJS for my hp printer and the NVidia drivers for my video card,
I'm perplexed as to why we can't get this kind of support from other
hardware manus???