[vox] [SAGE] Students needed to test tutorial on west coast (fwd)

Ken Herron vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:20:50 -0800

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 11:24:54 -0700
From: Rob Kolstad <kolstad@ace.DELOS.COM>
To: sage-members@sage.org
Subject: [SAGE] Students needed to test tutorial on west coast

Sheila Brady at sheila@acuitus.com has asked me to circulate this
announcement, and it seemed appropriate for our members.

The gist of it is: If you are at the proper skill level for UNIX
System Administration then you can earn $200 for helping them test
their new sysadmin course/lab.  The details are below.

Sheila has promised not to use your personal information for anything
other than qualification for the study. This is not a scam to get your
email address.

Acuitis is willing to pay $200 for UNIX System Administrators with
between 6 months - 2 years experience to take part in a research
experiment.  Participation in the experiment consists of taking a 4
hour (approx) class in UNIX System Administration Troubleshooting at
our location in Palo Alto, CA. For each class we will need 3 or 4
students. We will likely have about 12 more classes over the next few
months. The next three classes are tentatively scheduled for January
21, 22, and 23rd. The class consists of a 45 minute lecture in
troubleshooting, followed by three hours of lab exercises.  Each
student will be mic'd and video-recorded, and all their interactions
with the computer logged.  We will analyze the data generated by the
class to assist us in research in the area of expert tutorial systems.

We need students who are at a particular skill level in their UNIX
System Administration abilities. To prove eligibility for the class
each student needs to take a 20 question test on-line, and to submit
a current resume or a brief description of their education/experience
level. The test has a variety of questions, some of which should be
answered successfully by the prospective student and some of which
may well beyond the student's expertise. It is, therefore, very
important that the prospective student is the actual person who takes
the test, without coaching from other people, or extra study, so that
we get students at the appropriate skill level. We select the students
based on the results of the test, our review of their resume, and, in
some cases, a brief phone interview.

All data generated during these sessions will remain the sole property
of Acuitus. Each student will have to sign a consent and release form.
All student information will be kept in strict confidence. We are a
reputable company that has been in business doing the research in this
area for the past 4 years.

All queries regarding the test, the class, and the study should go to
Sheila Brady at:  sheila@acuitus.com .

              * /\  Rob Kolstad               Executive Director, SAGE
       *   /\  /  \  kolstad@sage.org             FAX: +1 719-481-6551
        /\/  \/    \  +1 719-481-6542        15235 Roller Coaster Road
       /  \  /      \  http://www.sage.org  Colorado Springs, CO 80921

"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons
Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft." - Homer Simpson

Kenneth Herron        Kherron@newsguy.com       916-366-7338