[vox] Syncing Palm Pilot

Ken Bloom vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:18:04 -0800

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 08:36:11AM +0000, Rob Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 18:18:23PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > This is not a problem with device files (at least not yet). By looking
> > up the vendor and product ID in my 2.6.3 kernel source, I conclude
> > that you are using a Palm m130. The correct kernel module (at least in
> > my 2.6.3) for handling these devices is visor, which I can see is
> > already loaded.
>=20
> I was pretty sure it wasn't the device files...
>=20
> > What kernel version are you using? Perhaps you need something more
> > recent. Palm m130 support appears to have been added in kernel 2.4.19.
>=20
> That's most likely it. I'm running 2.4.18-bf2.4. Guess it's time to
> install a newer kernel, huh?
>=20
> The last time I was using a kernel this old, I had a Handspring Visor,
> not a Palm m130. I didn't realize support for the m130 came so much
> later.

USB devices can be like that - even when they don't change any
hardware capabilities, the kernel still needs to know the vendor and
product ID, so it can associate the device with the right driver.
You can only know this number when the product is released. So even
when a new device is released without adding any capabilites, and
without a driver needing new capabilities, you still need the new
kernel so it can *identify* the device. This is the case with the
Palm m130, and when I ran across the patch on kernel.org (which said
it was going into 2.4.19, all it added was the product ID.

--=20
My key was last signed 10/14/2003. If you use GPG *please* see me about=20

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--