[vox] web-based cdplayer / mp3 jukebox for linux

Jeff Newmiller vox@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:03:37 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Ken Bloom wrote:

> On 2004.01.31 22:48, dylan wrote:
> > hi-
> >
> > i am looking for some sort of web-based jukebox that will play cds in the
> > drive or mp3s on the internal disk...
> >
> > so far i have found apache::mp3 .... but it is based on mod_perl, which i
> > don't really want to install / configure...
> >

> > any ideas?
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > dylan
>
> Try the slimp3 server (http://www.slimp3.com/, debian package slimp3)
> and set up a copy of mpg123 as a daemon to play its http-based mp3
> stream. If you become interested in something more, you can look at
> actually buying one of their devices (the Squeezebox, which now comes
> in both wireless and wired versions)

In theory you can play CDs through slimp3, but I haven't been able to
figure it out, and playing ripped music is much more convenient
anyway. ("tear" makes this pretty easy.)

Note that the mp3-stream-to-software-player approach takes awhile to
respond... mostly because of buffering in the client.  The slimp3, on the
other hand, is very quick to respond, as it uses a custom UDP protocol.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing