[vox] Dead Computer - resurrected

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Dec 30 10:52:55 PST 2004

On Thursday 30 December 2004 10:15, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > I ended up creating a boot disk, and booting the computer off of that.
> > Then I went to the e:\win98 directory and formatted the C: drive.  Then I
> > created C: \win98, and copied all of the files from e:\win98 to c:\win98;
> > finally, I executed c:\win98\setup.exe which installed Windows 98 on the
> > computer.
>
>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Interesting definition of resurrected.
>
> I know this seems like a gratuitous comment on a Linux mailing list, but
> I just don't think Win98 should be allowed on the internet anymore,
> regardless of OS bigotry, and you are already a Linux user.

It pained me to do it, knowing that I could install a perfectly functional
Debian system on this computer.  And I agree that Windows 98 should not be
allowed on the Internet.  This computer isn't for my house, though; it's a
rebuild for someone who insisted on Windows 98.

But now you've definitely got me worried about the ethics of doing this (when
I was a philosophy major at UC Davis, we *never* covered the ethics of OS
installations).  Building a Win98 box which will be accessing the Internet
seems a bit like deliberately building a car without brakes.  Even if you
give the car away, it's still a Bad Thing to do.

The computer's already been promised to someone who'll be picking it up this
afternoon.  Blast.

--
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford at mossroot.com)
AIM: Buffalo2K / http://www.mossroot.com