[vox] Dead Computer - resurrected

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Dec 30 10:15:53 PST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> I ended up creating a boot disk, and booting the computer off of that.  Then I
> went to the e:\win98 directory and formatted the C: drive.  Then I created C:
> \win98, and copied all of the files from e:\win98 to c:\win98; finally, I
> executed c:\win98\setup.exe which installed Windows 98 on the computer.
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting definition of resurrected.

I know this seems like a gratuitous comment on a Linux mailing list, but
I just don't think Win98 should be allowed on the internet anymore,
regardless of OS bigotry, and you are already a Linux user.

Debian's boot floppies could just as easily be used to setup access to the
nonbootable CD drive or a network to complete the installation, and viola!
... an internet-compatible computer.  I know, my kids aren't happy until I
get Flash and Java working, but they are pretty straightforward.  (My
daughter sniffed disbeleivingly at the idea of using an old laptop
computer which didn't have an ethernet or wireless port.)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing