[vox] Peerstone Brief on Linux Growth in Enterprise ERP

Tim Riley timriley at timriley.net
Fri Dec 10 14:36:56 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 11:19, Edward Elliott wrote:
> Interesting study from Peerstone on the growth of Linux in enterprise ERP installations. (PDF)

This sure was interesting. A significant assertion in the study was:

"For again, the most important finding in our recent survey work is not
that customers are leaving Unix for cheaper platforms -- we already know
that has been happening for years -- but rather that the vast majority
of those who are leaving now say they will go to Linux rather than
Windows Server."

Peerstone also expands on the two major perception-hangups plaguing
Linux's growth:

1) the total cost of ownership is high because of "the high cost
and relative scarcity of experienced Linux system administrators."

2) the FUD caused by SCO.

Peerstone forecasts that as the Linux market grows, more system
administrators will retrain to Linux. And SCO doesn't
have a case. "When these two negatives diminish in importance,
the move to Linux will accelerate."