[vox] Distribution for an adventurous newbie?

donw at examen.com donw at examen.com
Wed Aug 4 13:03:22 PDT 2004

A friend of mine wants to give Linux a try, and she being the type that
she is, wants to do the installation herself -- she has a spare hard
drive, so she probably won't blow away her data, and I've already given
her the standard list of cautions, as well as an offer to do the
installation for her.  Still, she wants to do it.

So -- what distribution should I burn to a CD for her?  I'm a Debian
man, but I know that the Debian installer isn't friendly unless you know
Linux.  In fact, because I've been a computer type since the age of six,
I'm pretty much guaranteed to give her something difficult to install.

So -- which distribution?  Focus is on ease of installation and use; as
she progresses, she will learn more, and eventually I might move her to
Debian.  Anything bundled with OpenOffice.org is a plus, and she has a
card reader and a camera (both supported by gPhoto2 and usb-storage)
which would be nice to have working.

--
Don Werve <donw at examen.com> (Unix System Administrator)