[vox] Something like GNUWinII, but for Macs?

Dave Margolis vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:24:15 -0700

Bill Kendrick wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:30:48PM -0700, Dave Margolis wrote:
><snip>
>

>>These guy make a couple of CDs similar to what you're describing:
>>http://www.bsdmall.com/darwin.html
>>However, fink (apt port for OS X) sort of makes this sort of CD silly,
>>unless you're using dialup
>>

>Well, so is handing out GNUWinII discs, then. ;^)  The point is, people
>are probably much more willing to pop a disc in to try it out
>(ooh! shiny free disc!) than to go gathering up apps on the net.

I didn't mean fink made the CD idea silly, I meant fink made paying $40
for the BSDMall disk silly.

>We kinda need to force things down people's throat, ESPECIALLY in the
>cases where we're trying to wean them off the bullcrap that's preinstalled
>(e.g., Internet Explorer!)

I agree, plus IE for the Mac is so crappy.  Safari, which is based
partly on Mozilla (for the UI) and partly on Konquerer (KHTML is the
HTML engine) is pretty slick, but Netscape/Mozilla are still the best
choices for the Mac (IMHO).

><snip>
>

>>I'd be happy to do this, but there are some problems.  X11 is required
>>for a lot of stuff, and you have to install that from the mysterious 3rd
>>OS X cd (the "developer tools") which most Mac users have never taken
>>out of the wrapper.  This is not required for Mozilla, but would be for
>>OOo or the Gimp.  You'd have to provide some kind of documentation.  Any
>>thoughts on how best to do this?
>>

><snip>
>

>Would it be against the license to INCLUDE it [X11] on our own disc?

Good question.  Another alternative would be to include XDarwin:
http://www.xdarwin.org/, which is a totally free X implementation for
the Mac, and can be made (with a little more work) to play nice with
OOo, Gimp, all the fink apps, etc.

>Or am I going too far here by suggesting we put together and maintaining
>our own disc?

Not a bad idea, but it would need to be tested, and I don't know if
you'll have that ready by WEF.

>Perhaps a pamphlet with useful info might be suitable for the Mac users.

That's a really good idea.  Like I mentioned, it might be nice to let
the average Mac user (who already knows he/she is anti-MS) that they are
also part of the good fight for open source/open standards/free
software/etc.  This page has some good propaganda:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/ (there is an X11 link there
too if you want more info on that).