[vox] Content Sharing becomes Bandwidth Theft

Jeff Newmiller vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 18:08:35 -0800 (PST)

I just noticed that an image on my web page has been used by at least two
individuals as their avatar image on discussion lists.  Their use of the
image doesn't bother me... but the fact that they didn't put it on their
own webservers means that they are freeloading on my website.  Every time
someone reads their posts on those discussion lists, my site gets a
useless hit.

I am thinking of moving the file (and changing all my internal links), and
replacing the file with a different image that communicates that this
is not acceptable behavior.  Any suggestions for appropriate images? One
of my calmer ideas was a yellow background with black letters that says
"Don't use someone elses image URL for your avatar", but there has to be a
better phrase or image...

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing