[vox] Re: Newest Microsoft Internet Critical Security Last Upgrade Patch

vox@lists.lugod.org vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:15:07 -0700

On Fri 19 Sep 03,  8:02 AM, Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> said:
> On Friday 19 September 2003 07:46 am, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> > Pete
> >
> > > Internet Critical Patch
> > > Bug Message
> > > Latest Microsoft Critical Patch
> >

> > Yes.  I'm getting a lot of the MS ones as well :)
>
> Me too.  Along with a ton of spams with titles like
> "strengthen your (ock", obviously to get past spam filters.
>
> What I'd like to see is some software to automate the
> process of looking up the IP of the MTA from which I receive
> such garbage, showing the netblock owner, optionally
> complaining to them and/or to spamcop, and optionally adding
> an entry to my Postfix blacklist.
>
> Anyone know of such a thing?

not off the top of my head, but such a project would be worthy of my
time.  maybe a nice plugin for mutt.

i've been sending all my "what seems to be a new virus" to spamcop, but
i'm starting to wonder if that's the best thing to do.  should spamcop
be used to complain about viruses?  technically, it's not spam.  and the
sending host is not ... well, they ARE culpable, but they don't do it
with malice and intent.  i wonder what spamcop's official policy would
be on reporting viruses?

pete