[vox] PowerMac 8100/110

Mac Paramedic vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:42:27 -0700

At 9:16 PM -0700 9/13/03, Ken Bloom wrote:
>I had the good fortune on move-in day that I found a discarded
>PowerMac 8100/110 in the trash outside my apartment. Upon pluging it
>in and turning it on (headless) I heard it make the happy-macintosh
>chime, so I think it's usable. This prompts the question of what I
>should do with it.
>
>I'm buying the appropriate adapters to connect it to the network and
>to connect it to a standard SVGA monitor, and I was thinking about
>bringing it to the installfest so we could all get some experience
>installing ${DISTRO}, a PowerPC based linux distribution on it.
>
>To do this, I need:
>(a) A ride to the installfest
>(b) A suggestion to fill in ${DISTRO}. What would you guys like to
>gain experience installing on it?

The 8100 is a nubus machine. It has no PCI slots.
So linux may be a bit challenging, but apparently it can be done.

I mac-googled nubus linux and got some promising hits.

Have a look at this:
http://www.flexistentialist.org/archives/000118.shtml

Keep me posted on your progress on this.
I have a similar machine I'd like to install linux onto.
In fact, if you need a ride to the install fest, let me know.

btw, if you still need an ethernet 10T/AAUI adapter, I've an extra
you can have.

Larry
--
Macintosh Paramedic