[vox] whichcd (and RedHat going _way_ commercial)

Jonathan Stickel vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:47:28 -0700

John McDonnell wrote:
> On the 24th day of October, Jonathan Stickel said to me:
>

>>In fact, recently they announced they will not be building any more
>>distributions for single desktops; they have spun this off as the
>>so-called "Fedora Project".
>

> And how, pray tell, is Fedora any different from Debian (OK, obviously
> there's the RPM vs. deb thing) or Slackware? Red Hat makes a nicely
> packaged distribution set and makes it available for download without
> charging for or providing commerial support.
>
> If you're comfortable enough to work on your own, it looks like Fedora
> should be fine. If you want the hand holding and paid support, go for
> enterprise. I'll be making sure I'm holding onto the baby next time I
> refresh the bath water.

I am comfortable on my own and certainly will be able to find an
alternative.  Perhaps Fedora will turn out to be completely viable.  I
am concerned about losing the extremely convenient RHNetwork update
system, and maybe this will be wrapped into Fedora as well (but called
something else?).  We'll see.  I was just spouting some initial reactions.

Jonathan