[vox] whichcd (and RedHat going _way_ commercial)

Jonathan Stickel vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:44:29 -0700

I just discovered something very useful for RedHat users:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/whichcd/

It's a little shell program, "whichcd", which will list all the
"distribution" rpms containing a specified string, and which CDs they
are on.  No more fumbling around trying to find some obscure rpm which I
know came with a particular RedHat distribution.  It also works with MDK9.0.

I used to look on the RedHat website for a list of included packages to
know whether an rpm came with a distribution.  Then I had to search the
cds one at a time...  Anyway, that list became harder and harder to
find, as it was buried deeper and deeper under the "RedHat Enterprise
Linux"  push.  This morning I went looking and couldn't find it all!
Fortunately, a google search directed me to whichcd.

Anyway, I am deeply concerned about the direction RedHat is taking.  It
appears that they are moving towards not supporting the little guy
anymore at all.  In fact, recently they announced they will not be
building any more distributions for single desktops; they have spun this
off as the so-called "Fedora Project".

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php?id=357123420&fp=16&fpid=0

This means no RedHat Linux 10, and I fear no more free RedHat network
updates in the future.

Any of my future upgrades or installs will be with another distribution.
  This is unfortunate, since I feel like I really know how to use RedHat
after starting new with Linux just a year and a half ago.  I'm not
looking forward to jumping on a new learning curve so soon...

Jonathan