[vox] Re: Everyone knows these lists are archived, right?

Jeremy Turner vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:48:08 -0700

--=-hb6nKtFaumQ1kpS3AmEB

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 15:45, Dan Willenbring wrote:
> We dealt with the same thing on the Twin Cities LUG mailing list.  One
> particular person spent years trolling the list, upsetting people, making
> outrageous statements.  They later found out that all this stuff popped u=
> when they (or their potential employer/girlfriend/mother/etc) punched
> their name into Google.
>=20
> I think it was decided that nothing be removed from the archives.  Doing
> so would open the floodgates for similar such requests.

Again, sorry for the late reply, as I'm going through my LUGOD folder
this morning.

Honoring such requests for removal seems to give in to almost DMCA-ish
(is that a new word?) requests like having Google removing certain pages
from the Google cache.

The damage is when someone shoots himself/herself in the foot or trolls.

Don't lose sleep over it, Bill.  Then again, if you had, it'd been at
least a week since you last slept. :-)

Jeremy

--=20
Jeremy Turner <jeremy@linuxwebguy.com>