[vox] question for PDA users

Rob Rogers vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:28:46 -0400

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 13:11:52PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 03:52:33PM -0400, Rob Rogers wrote:
> > Actually, this reminds me, the new Zaurus (it was reviewed a few months
> > ago in Linux Journal) is a clamshell design (think laptop...folding with
> > screen on one half, and keyboard on the other) in about the same size as
> > the current models, making for a much larger keyboard.
>
> Yeah...  It's good to point out that the device /itself/ is about the
> same size as the current Zaurus, so it really is a tiny little laptop-shaped
> computer.
>
> The screen also swivels and folds back down, so you can view it in portait
> mode with the keyboard hidden.  Then it looks like a regular Zaurus
> (with the mini-keyboard covered up), more or less.

Somehow I forgot about that. One more thing that makes these so cool.
Makes it more like a tiny tabletPC, especially with the larger
resolution.

> Also remember that the screen resolution is a whopping 640x480!
> 4x as high as the SL-5x00 models (which themselves have about the max
> resolution you see on most PDAs lately)

As a comparison for those who don't know resolutions, most of the Palm
and Handspring series, before the new Palm Tungsten were running at
160x160. The Hi-Res (started with Sony) ran 320x320, and later 320x480
when they went to doing the removeable graffiti area on the display
area, instead of a silkscreen area.

> > That's the one I'm really looking foward to. They're only available in
> > Japan now, although a couple companies are importing them. (you either
> > have to do the Japanese to english software conversion yourself, or some
> > places will do it for you, but you end up getting an opened box from them)
>
> Dynamism was the first to sell them in the US.  They do English conversions.
> There's also another (can't remember name!) that sells non-converted ones.
> Finally, you can also get them from theKompany.com.

Dynamism was the name I was looking for. I couln't find my LJ.

> It'd rule if they did!

I agree!

By the way Bill, here's a link to the old Zaurus. Back when I brought
this up at GTC, you had me convinced it was a Wizard I had 7 years ago,
not a Zaurus...until I stumbled onto this page recently while looking
for info on the new Zaurus': (these things even had a PCMCIA slot ;))

http://www.pygmy.com/zaurus.htm