[vox] question for PDA users

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:11:52 -0700

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 03:52:33PM -0400, Rob Rogers wrote:
> Actually, this reminds me, the new Zaurus (it was reviewed a few months
> ago in Linux Journal) is a clamshell design (think laptop...folding with
> screen on one half, and keyboard on the other) in about the same size as
> the current models, making for a much larger keyboard.

Yeah...  It's good to point out that the device /itself/ is about the
same size as the current Zaurus, so it really is a tiny little laptop-shaped
computer.

The screen also swivels and folds back down, so you can view it in portait
mode with the keyboard hidden.  Then it looks like a regular Zaurus
(with the mini-keyboard covered up), more or less.

e.g.:

  [           ]
  [ landscape ]
  --- fold ----
  [ keyboard  ]
  [           ]

or:

     [       ]
     [ port- ]
     [ rait  ]
     [       ]

Also remember that the screen resolution is a whopping 640x480!
4x as high as the SL-5x00 models (which themselves have about the max
resolution you see on most PDAs lately)

> That's the one I'm really looking foward to. They're only available in
> Japan now, although a couple companies are importing them. (you either
> have to do the Japanese to english software conversion yourself, or some
> places will do it for you, but you end up getting an opened box from them)

Dynamism was the first to sell them in the US.  They do English conversions.
There's also another (can't remember name!) that sells non-converted ones.
Finally, you can also get them from theKompany.com.

Reviews:

  Device preview: Sharp Zaurus SL-C700 VGA resolution PDA
  by Rick Lehrbaum (Nov. 15, 2002)

  NVMAX Exclusive: Sharp Zaurus C750 English Conversion Pictures
  by David Solomon on June 4th, 2003
  http://www.nvmax.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?num=1054747425

  Mini Review: Sharp Zaurus SL-C750 (Pictures)
  submitted by Ian   Tuesday, July 29, 2003
  http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1524

  Hands-On the Sharp Zaurus SL-C760
  By Ed Hardy | Editor-in-Chief - Aug 25, 2003
  http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sharp_SL-C760_Review

and the latest I've seen:

  Review: Sharp Zaurus SL-C760
  By: Larry Garfield, Sunday 28th September 2003, 07:25 GMT
  http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/4115,2.html

Poke around www.LinuxDevices.com for even more reviews & news.

Also, The Register seems to think the clamshells will FINALLY make it
outside of Japan some time soon:

  Sharp to plot worldwide Linux PDA plan
  By Tony Smith - Posted: 29/09/2003 at 11:39 GMT

It'd rule if they did!

-bill!