[vox] Outlaws redux

Peter Jay Salzman vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:46:16 -0800

hi all,

about a week(?) ago i sent a letter to the person in charge of
lucasarts' "outlaws" (a pretty cool first person shooter) , asking him
if it were possible to open source this nearly 10 year old engine.

he seemed very into the idea, but had to run it by the legal department.

here is the legal department's response.  i honestly don't comprehend
everything about their reply, but it sounds like they may be a little
confused about what open source means.

any suggestions on what my response should be?

would it be silly to contact someone like mad dog and ask him to take
over "negotiations"?

pete

----- Forwarded message from Daron Stinnett

Subject: RE: Outlaws
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:17:24 -0800
From: Daron Stinnett
To: p@dirac.org

Hi Pete, here's the response I received from our legal department:

"We would not "give away" the code in the same sense done with the Doom
and Quake engines and we certainly would not such to be considered or
become "open source". What we could do (and was previously proposed by
legal with respect to the SCUMM Engine) was that we make it available
("it" being either the entire engine or selected executable files)
either through our web site (subject to certain very limited terms that
make clear we continue to own the code, do not give up any claims of
ownership to the code and make it available entirely on an "as is" basis
absent any kind of warranties, support or other assistance."

How does that response align with your inquiry?

- Daron