[vox] Knoppix 3.3 brief review

Jeremy Turner vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:44:03 -0800

--=-l+vn//dMNfQ68EQQeZ/+

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 00:49, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Since I was dropped into a root shell by simply typing "su", I _assumed_
> the root password is blank on Knoppix.  Though, I could be mistaken.
> Perhaps "knoppix" user is given certain privileges via sudo or something
> else I don't know much about, since I'm not a sysadmin. :^)
>=20
> Anyway, I just hit [Enter] in to the password prompt, and it bitched at m=
> that I entered something invalid.  So, I su'd, and ran "passwd" and set
> a password for root, and that got me going.  (Maybe I should RTFM'd)

RTFM or RTFF (forum) would help. :)  To get a root shell, there's a link
to a root shell on the K menu, or open a regular terminal and type
'rootme', or you can run sudo with any command and it won't ask you for
a password.  I think the knoppix user password is knoppix and the root
password is rootme, but maybe not.  I think the docs say.  Check out the
readme file, or the cheatcodes file, or some other text file on the root
of the CD.

> Anyway...  other than these few niggles, I thought it looked pretty good.
> Definitely needs some work in the menu department.  It's just a matter of
> time before someone decides to go in there and clean things up, I think. =
;^)

I'm sure they could use some help cleaning them up!  Maybe a bug report
and a patch would be nice for them.

> Of course, honestly, I can't tell (off-hand) if these problems are Knoppi=
x,
> KDE, Debian, or the upstreams' faults, but the nice thing is, at least th=
ey
> can get _worked_on_. :^)  Good ol' Open Source.

And with KNOPPIX, there's a big following that would like to see it
happen.  I love the fact that I can use it to restore someone else's
Windows PC very very easily.  Of course, it gives me an excuse to show
off Linux. :)

Jeremy

--=20
Jeremy Turner <jeremy@linuxwebguy.com>