[vox] OT: Contemplating the unthinkable...

vox@lists.lugod.org vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:30:45 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Rod Roark wrote:

> On Thursday 13 November 2003 12:16 pm, donw@examen.com wrote:
> > ... MS has an
> > incredible marketing department[1], and they also fit my criteria for a
> > large-cap stock; and even if they do lose the 'OS' battle, it won't
> > happen for awhile, and it would be nearly trivial for ...
>
> This is all stuff that the market knows about, and is
> reflected in the current price of the stock.
>
> You want to make buy/sell decisions based on information
> that is NOT widely understood.  Like perhaps your personal
> perception of the improving viability of Linux on the
> desktop.  MS has leveraged its desktop monopoly to achieve
> much of its past success; if that is threatened, you will
> not want to be holding MSFT shares.

Well, its a bit more involved than that.,  You have a recent return to the
US courts of several states, and Judge Kotelly pondering a more stringent
review of what has happened since the previous ruling (barely reported in
teh US, but given a decent amount of press in the EU, where the first
of three potential complainst against MS is poised to be formally lodged
and investigated.  And the EU si a lot harder to lobby than the US
Congress)

MS is in more hot water than they would appear to be.  They are not going
to go away, but one has to wonder if they are going to go the route of
ATT (an eventual break leading to an extreme penalty imposed upon them) or
IBM (capitulation to pressure and a refocusing of the company)