[vox] Open Office questions

Peter Jay Salzman vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 May 2003 15:32:24 -0700

On Thu 29 May 03,  2:58 PM, Norm Matloff <matloff@laura.cs.ucdavis.edu> said:
> 1.  How does one format imported ASCII text into paragraphs, with nice
> justified margins at the right?

not sure -- try selecting a paragraph and using format | paragraph.  not
sure if that justifies right margins though.

insert | file is what most other programs call "import file".  wierd.
it looks like you need to select the text after importing and then
reformat using format | paragraph.  there might be a way to filter the
text coming in, but i'm not sure.

> 2.  How does one do a global change of font size?

select all the text with:

1. ctl-a
2. alt-e alt-a
3. edit | select all

then you can use the font selector to select a particular font.

> These seem like simple questions, but I haven't been able to make it
> work.  I don't use Open Office much, but it occurs often enough that it
> would be nice to know how to do these things.

i'm not overly fond of OO.  it's big and weighty.  much better than the
garbage that was called star office, but as a linux user, i'm much more
used to the light thumbprint of something like abiword or even latex.
:)

and anything that loads libGL.so better allow me to kill bad guys and
vanquish evil space aliens.   for the life of me, i can't figure out why
a word processor needs accelerated 3d...

pete