[vox] Let's talk UPS

John McDonnell vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 27 May 2003 09:54:38 -0700 (PDT)

On the 26th day of May, Mark K. Kim said to me:

> As for me, I have two APC UPSes, both of which work great,

I have a BackUPS Pro 280 that I got from Surplus Computers for $29.99.
Works like a charm. I also have 2 spare cables[1] that I may be able to
part with.

> but I don't hook up the communication cable to my computer since I
> usually don't leave my computer on while I'm away.

Most people don't install the software - a fact that sucks when you're
working in their software developement dept.

> I do have a cable, though (it was free with registration at one point)
> and I did read that I can use it to monitor power and shut it down,

Depending on the cable, and the unit in question, you can do a lot more
sophistcated things.

> even though APC isn't very Linux-friendly.

This is simply untrue! I worked for APC on a Linux driver for the USB
prducts - what has since become the Backups LS. The testing lab regularly
tested on different dists - I set up the Japanese RH 7.2[2] testing
machines myself.

If anyone need help getting an APC UPS to work with Linux, let me know and
I'll give it a shot.

If you do buy APC, let them know you're using it with Linux.

[1] Not sure if they're simple signalling or smart cables
[2] Hmm, maybe 7.1 - not sure

johnmc.
--
 . johnmc@ | bucketchild.net - +1-916-683-2276 (home) .