[vox] Let's talk UPS

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 26 May 2003 21:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

I think there's a list of compatible UPSes in the UPS HOWTO.  It's quite
outdated but it does tell you which UPS companies are Linux-friendly and
which are not.  And the protocols for the UPSes probably stayed
backwards-comaptible so the UPS HOWTO should give you an idea of what
you can and can't do which each UPS brand.

As for me, I have two APC UPSes, both of which work great, but I don't
hook up the communication cable to my computer since I usually don't leave
my computer on while I'm away.  I do have a cable, though (it was free
with registration at one point) and I did read that I can use it to
monitor power and shut it down, even though APC isn't very Linux-friendly.

-Mark