[vox] OT: request for a Mac user

ME vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 23 May 2003 01:11:27 -0700 (PDT)

>> A while back, LUGOD salvaged an old Mac clone for use as a demo machine.
>> apparently need a bootable floppy with MacOS 8.1 (or later) in order to
>> install Linux on it. An image of such a floppy is aledgedly available at
>>
>> <ftp://ftp.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/US/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_8.1_Update/Disk_Tools_PPC.img.bin>
>>
>> but the FTP site is unresponsive. Anyway, the file is an image in
>> Apple's
>> proprietary format, which requires Apple Disk Copy for MacOS to write to
>> floppy. So I am asking some kind Mac user to make me a floppy of the
>> above
>> image, or equivalent bootable floppy. Must me Mac OS 8.1 or later!
>> Please
>> mail me off-list if you can help.
>
> Google search for file exposes an apple mirror:
> http://mirror.apple.com/Mirrors/Apple_SW_Updates/US/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_8.1_Update/

Also, once you get a "standard" image, you may just be able to:
# cat image-name.img > /dev/fd0
since the image would likely be a 1.44MB floppy. Won't even need to
format. If you hjave linux, you can also try installing the hfs module and
then
# mount -t hfs /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Hope you can find someone to help you with getting the image.

-ME